Sputtering Start to Religious Right's Rebranding
The Freedom Federation’s “Awakening” conference convened at Liberty University on April 15 and 16 with the ambitious goal of transforming America by touching off the greatest religious revival that America or the world has ever known. Short of that, the gathering was all about rebranding the Religious Right political movement as a “multiracial, multi-ethnic, transgenerational” movement that cares about social justice (sorry, Glenn Beck). In short, the conference was meant to send a message to young and non-white evangelicals: this ain’t your father’s Religious Right.
- Tyranny! Red Alert! America is in big trouble. Freedom is under attack by President Obama and his allies in Congress. And since Obama is no friend of Israel, we’re in trouble with God.
- Fight! Big threats mean we have to be ready to fight, fight fight. The tea party movement was invoked favorably and, given the turnout, a bit wistfully.
- Unify. A major theme of the event was the need to ignore major theological differences among speakers and focus on common values such as ending abortion and the Obama administration.
- Diversify. The conference made a major effort to showcase the Freedom Federation’s claims to be a multiracial, multiethnic, multigenerational movement.
- Seek Social Justice. Watch out, Glenn Beck, these right-wingers are eager to portray themselves as a social justice movement.
- Millennial Generation, saving America is your job.
Organizations:Heritage Foundation, Liberty Counsel , Liberty University , Religious Right, Family Research Council, Freedom Federation
People:Barack Obama, Harry Jackson , Jerry Falwell, Ken Blackwell , Lou Engle , John Paul Stevens, Diane Wood, Justice John Paul Stevens, Cuccinelli, Ergun Caner, peter montgomery, Phillip Jauregui, Rick Joyner, Cindy Jacobs, Glenn Beck
Topics:Abortion, Culture War, Education, Election 2012, Elections, Legal, Media, Politics, Religious Right, Reproductive Health, Threats, Video, Women, Supreme Court, Third Wave, LGBT, Attorney General, Virginia, Ohio, Religious Liberty, Congress, Constitution, Anti-Choice, Legislation, health care reform, 2010 Elections, military, john paul stevens, immigration reform, Immigration, economy, senate, republicans, health care, comprehensive immigration reform, marriage, rallies, Islam, muslim, choice, public policy
Janet Porter: God Will Hold You Accountable For Not Voting For Trump
8/22/16 @ 10:58am
Rudy Giuliani: No Terrorist Attacks Occurred During The Bush Administration
8/15/16 @ 3:05pm
Lance Wallnau: Trump's Wall 'Isn't About Mexico,' It's About Biblical Prophecy
8/19/16 @ 3:57pm
Trump Supporter Tells Glenn Beck That If Trump Doesn't Build A Wall, 'We're Going To Come After Him Personally'
8/24/16 @ 2:09pm
Family Security Matters: 'Muslim DNA' Makes Olympic Fencer Prone To 'Attacking Others With Knives'
8/18/16 @ 12:46pm