Sputtering Start to Religious Right's Rebranding
The Freedom Federation’s “Awakening” conference convened at Liberty University on April 15 and 16 with the ambitious goal of transforming America by touching off the greatest religious revival that America or the world has ever known. Short of that, the gathering was all about rebranding the Religious Right political movement as a “multiracial, multi-ethnic, transgenerational” movement that cares about social justice (sorry, Glenn Beck). In short, the conference was meant to send a message to young and non-white evangelicals: this ain’t your father’s Religious Right.
- Tyranny! Red Alert! America is in big trouble. Freedom is under attack by President Obama and his allies in Congress. And since Obama is no friend of Israel, we’re in trouble with God.
- Fight! Big threats mean we have to be ready to fight, fight fight. The tea party movement was invoked favorably and, given the turnout, a bit wistfully.
- Unify. A major theme of the event was the need to ignore major theological differences among speakers and focus on common values such as ending abortion and the Obama administration.
- Diversify. The conference made a major effort to showcase the Freedom Federation’s claims to be a multiracial, multiethnic, multigenerational movement.
- Seek Social Justice. Watch out, Glenn Beck, these right-wingers are eager to portray themselves as a social justice movement.
- Millennial Generation, saving America is your job.
Organizations:Heritage Foundation, Liberty Counsel , Liberty University , Religious Right, Family Research Council, Freedom Federation
People:Barack Obama, Cuccinelli, Diane Wood, Ergun Caner, Harry Jackson , Jerry Falwell, John Paul Stevens, Justice John Paul Stevens, peter montgomery, Phillip Jauregui, Rick Joyner, Cindy Jacobs, Lou Engle , Ken Blackwell , Glenn Beck
Topics:2010 Elections, Election 2012, Abortion, Anti-Choice, Attorney General, choice, comprehensive immigration reform, Congress, Constitution, Culture War, economy, Education, Elections, health care, health care reform, Immigration, immigration reform, Islam, john paul stevens, Legal, Legislation, LGBT, marriage, Media, military, muslim, Ohio, Politics, public policy, rallies, Religious Liberty, Religious Right, republicans, senate, Supreme Court, Third Wave, Threats, Video, Virginia, Women, Reproductive Health
Tea Party Of Louisiana Falls For Hoax Article: 'Common Core Turns Students Gay'
8/19/14 @ 5:15pm
Michelle Duggar Joins Smear Campaign Against Fayetteville LGBT Nondiscrimination Ordinance
8/19/14 @ 10:35am
Ben Stein: Michael Brown 'Wasn't Unarmed. He Was Armed With His Incredibly Strong, Scary Self'
8/27/14 @ 12:14pm
Pat Robertson: Healing Prayers Sometimes Don't Work Because People 'Enjoy Their Sickness'
8/19/14 @ 11:45am
Kevin Sorbo And Rick Wiles Agree: Atheists Are Angry Because They Know God Exists
8/26/14 @ 3:08pm