Sputtering Start to Religious Right's Rebranding
The Freedom Federation’s “Awakening” conference convened at Liberty University on April 15 and 16 with the ambitious goal of transforming America by touching off the greatest religious revival that America or the world has ever known. Short of that, the gathering was all about rebranding the Religious Right political movement as a “multiracial, multi-ethnic, transgenerational” movement that cares about social justice (sorry, Glenn Beck). In short, the conference was meant to send a message to young and non-white evangelicals: this ain’t your father’s Religious Right.
- Tyranny! Red Alert! America is in big trouble. Freedom is under attack by President Obama and his allies in Congress. And since Obama is no friend of Israel, we’re in trouble with God.
- Fight! Big threats mean we have to be ready to fight, fight fight. The tea party movement was invoked favorably and, given the turnout, a bit wistfully.
- Unify. A major theme of the event was the need to ignore major theological differences among speakers and focus on common values such as ending abortion and the Obama administration.
- Diversify. The conference made a major effort to showcase the Freedom Federation’s claims to be a multiracial, multiethnic, multigenerational movement.
- Seek Social Justice. Watch out, Glenn Beck, these right-wingers are eager to portray themselves as a social justice movement.
- Millennial Generation, saving America is your job.
Organizations:Heritage Foundation, Liberty Counsel , Liberty University , Religious Right, Family Research Council, Freedom Federation
People:Barack Obama, Cuccinelli, Diane Wood, Ergun Caner, Harry Jackson , Jerry Falwell, John Paul Stevens, Justice John Paul Stevens, peter montgomery, Phillip Jauregui, Rick Joyner, Cindy Jacobs, Lou Engle , Ken Blackwell , Glenn Beck
Topics:2010 Elections, Election 2012, Abortion, Anti-Choice, Attorney General, choice, comprehensive immigration reform, Congress, Constitution, Culture War, economy, Education, Elections, health care, health care reform, Immigration, immigration reform, Islam, john paul stevens, Legal, Legislation, LGBT, marriage, Media, military, muslim, Ohio, Politics, public policy, rallies, Religious Liberty, Religious Right, republicans, senate, Supreme Court, Third Wave, Threats, Video, Virginia, Women, Reproductive Health
Louie Gohmert Proves That God Exists
7/10/14 @ 10:48am
Minnesota GOPer: Fossil Record Proves Humans Lived Alongside Dinosaurs
7/15/14 @ 3:00pm
Bryan Fischer Is Not A Fan Of Burger King's Proud Whopper
7/11/14 @ 3:35pm
Fox Host Gretchen Carlson Warns Seinfeld's 'Festivus' Promotes Anti-Christian Persecution
7/15/14 @ 11:05am
WorldNetDaily Pundit Thinks Americans Must Dislike America Because They Didn't Elect Sarah Palin
7/16/14 @ 1:15pm