While most Religious Right leaders eventually rallied around Donald Trump’s candidacy, his earliest Amen Corner was heavy with the self-proclaimed apostles and prophets from the dominionist Pentecostal wing of American Christianity who declared Trump anointed by God. As Trump prepares to take office, many of the same people came to Washington, D.C., last week to launch “POTUS Shield,” a movement designed in part to “discern, declare, and decree the strategies of the Lord for our nation, with a special sensitivity to the three branches of the United States government.”
Among the characters involved in POTUS Shield are Cindy Jacobs, Lance Wallnau, Lou Engle, Rick Joyner, Harry Jackson, Jerry Boykin, E.W. Jackson, Jennifer LeClaire, Mark Gonzales and Alveda King. The group met in prayer at the National Press Club and broke into smaller groups to pray at sites such as the Supreme Court. After the inauguration, the group will turn its attention to state capitals and government agencies.
LeClaire, senior editor of Charisma magazine, told the Christian Broadcasting Network that the red electoral map was “parabolic of the blood of Jesus.” She reported that God told her that He was releasing “the angels of transition” to “help transition the government into what we’ve all been praying for.” Trump, she said, “has surrounded himself with Godly counsel,” noting that there are “SO many Christians” among his cabinet and advisers.
The group’s website offers these “inaugural principals” [sic] of its mission:
- To assemble, structure and activate The POTUS Shield as a powerfully interactive spiritual, apostolic, prophetic force that acts and reacts in unity, with efficiency and expedience;
- To be a leadership forum that is inclusive and embraces the Bible believing Body of Christ, with a Kingdom heart to embrace the Body of Christ as One, even as prayed by our Lord as written in the Gospel of John, Chapter 17.
- To connect as an apostolic network exclusively assigned to the affirmation and reformation of The United States of America as ONE nation under GOD;
- To discern, declare, and decree the strategies of the Lord for our nation, with a special sensitivity to the three branches of the United States Government;
- To prepare the way and coordinate the simultaneous spiritual alignment of the Kingdom shift that is manifesting and impacting the government and the Church;
- To lay the foundation to convene in Philadelphia in March during Purim to declare a renewed covenant as the renewed United States of America, as one nation under God, and to commission and plan similar covenants in each of the 50 states in the Union.