State Policy Network
6255 Arlington Boulevard
Richmond, CA 94805
Founding Chairman: Thomas Roe
Formerly Known As: The Madison Group
President: Tracie Sharp
Financials: $391,496 (2001 budget)
Membership: 40 state membership groups in 37 states
Publications: SPN News (quarterly newsletter), SPN group directory.
Read the latest news on the State Policy Network on the group's Right Wing Watch index page
SPN's Principal Issues:
- SPN is a national network of state-based right-wing organizations in 37 states as well as prominent nationwide right-wing organizations. Through its network SPN advances the public policy ideas of the expansive right-wing political movement on the state and local level.
- Due to SPN's state think tank network, smaller organizations have met with success by following the Heritage Foundation model of extensive public relations to court the media and politicians in an effort to have more impact on public policy. The agenda of Heritage and most of SNP's network members are nearly identical: privatization of most public services and hostility to public education.
- SPN's Purpose: "The Era of Big Government is not over. Federal control has merely been reinforced by state mandates. This is the reality of the 'New Federalism.' Independent think tanks that promote market-oriented public policy ideas at the state and local levels are confronting that reality head-on, working in the trenches at the forefront of the movement for free market policy solutions, and State Policy Network is boosting its capacity to support them."
- SPN's leadership work includes "program planning, delivery, evaluation" and establishing "outreach programs" to help smaller organizations to market and promote themselves to lawmakers and business leaders.
- SPN is a network of "state-based think tanks," organizations, corporations, and foundations in the "conservative/free market movement."
- SPN provides seminars and workshops on areas such as market analysis and fundraising strategies for non-profits to market themselves in the for-profit world.
- The State Policy Network has received funding from the Olin Foundation, the Richard & Helen DeVos Foundation, the Bradley Foundation and the Castle Rock Foundation (Coors affiliated). The Network meets regularly to share strategies and coordinate activities.
- Through SPN's network the different state membership groups lobby and organize on a local and state level for privatization of many public services including schools and mass transportation, deregulation of business, and opposition to organized labor.
SPN's Members and Associates: [partial list]
Alabama Policy Institute
American Legislative Exchange Council
Allegheny Institute for Public Policy
Americans for Tax Reform
Arkansas Policy Foundation
Atlas Economic Research Foundation
Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation
Cascade Policy Institute
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Foundation for Economic Education
Foundation for Individual Rights in Education
Georgia Public Policy Foundation
Institute for Justice
Landmark Legal Foundation
Mackinac Center for Public Policy
National Center for Policy Analysis
Pacific Legal Foundation
Pacific Research Institute
Southeastern Legal Foundation
"The number of state think tanks has tripled during the past decade. In 1989, there were 12 independent, market-oriented, state-based public policy research organizations. Now there are 40 groups in 37 states, complementing the many national groups promoting free market policy solutions."
- From"About SPN: State Policy Network Background"
Organizations:State Policy Network
Share this post
Five Conservatives Who Don't Understand Net Neutrality…But Are Definitely Against It!
11/14/14 @ 10:57am
Beck: 'Revolutionaries Will Come And They Will Pull You Out Of Your Car And Shoot You'
11/13/14 @ 2:42pm
Alex Jones Has Net Neutrality Meltdown: This Is What The Nazis Did!
11/13/14 @ 5:00pm
Ben Carson Will Crack Down On Non-Citizens Committing Voter Fraud By Revoking Their Citizenship
11/12/14 @ 10:55am
Kobach Wonders If Hispanic Majority Would Conduct 'Ethnic Cleansing' In U.S.
11/20/14 @ 12:53pm