National Right to Life Committee
512 10th St. NW
Washington, DC 20004
President: Wanda Franz
Date of founding: 1973
Finances: $12.4 million (1998 revenue)
State chapters: Over 3,000 "Right to Life" chapters in all 50 states and District of Columbia.
Publications: National Right to Life News, monthly newsletter with "nearly" 400,000 subscribers, and a "Hot List" e-mail news listserv.
Affiliated with: National Right to Life Committee Educational Trust Fund, National Right to Life Conventions, National Right to Life PAC, and the Horatio R. Storer Foundation.
Read the latest news on the National Right to Life Committee on the group's Right Wing Watch index page
NRLC's Principal Issues:
- NRLC is the nation's largest anti-abortion grassroots organization.
- NRLC specializes in lobbying congress and organizing grassroots activists on anti-abortion issues. NRLC also has a political action committee and educational trust fund.
- One of the central goals of the organization is the passage of a constitutional amendment banning all abortion.
- While NRLC defines itself as a "single-issue" organization, they are also active in other issues such as partial-birth abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, in vitro fertilization, and cloning. NRCL opposes RU-486 and some forms of contraceptives, including "the pill."
- In 1999, Fortune magazine placed NRLC number 8 on its "Power 25" list, which ranks the most influential lobbying groups in Washington, D.C..
- NRLC organizes letters-to-congress campaigns on behalf of legislation that relates to their issues.
- NRLC encourages its members to approach local schools so they can give talks in the classroom, they call it "Captivating the Captive Audience." In materials that explain how to convert students to their cause, they emphasize the effectiveness of using NRCL's educational resources, such as videos, pamphlets, cd-roms, and "fetal models."
- In Fall 2001 the NRL Educational Trust Fund purchased a building halfway between the White House and Capitol Hill. The value of the building is assessed at $2 million dollars.
[Updated September 2002]
Share this post
Phil Robertson Hypothesizes About Atheist Family Getting Raped And Killed
3/24/15 @ 12:40pm
Rick Santorum: 'Yes We Can' Put The Bible Back In Public Schools
3/16/15 @ 11:06am
Phil Robertson: Liberals Worse Than Nazis, Led By Satan
3/24/15 @ 1:10pm
Sen. James Lankford And Rep. Randy Forbes Want To Protect 'Corporate Conscience' So Christians Are Free To Discriminate
3/18/15 @ 10:22am
Rick Wiles Warns Christians They Have A Year To 'Get Out' Before Obama Destroys America
3/16/15 @ 4:12pm