316 Pennsylvania Ave., SE, Ste. 203
Washington, DC 20003
President/Founder: Phyllis Schlafly
Executive Director: Lori (Cole) Waters
Date of founding: 1972
Place of founding: Alton, IL
Finances: $2.3 million (2000)
State Chapters: 30 listed on website.
Publications: The Phyllis Schlafly Report, published monthly. From the Eagle's Nest, a weekly newsletter just for teens. The Eagle's Voice, a weekly e-mail newsletter for college students. "Crisis in the Classroom," a video on "hidden agendas" in public schools. "Radical Feminism," a video which outlines the destructive force of feminism. Schlafly's weekly syndicated column appears in 100 newspapers. EF also publishes other reports on their issues.
Radio: Schlafly's radio commentaries are heard daily on 460 stations, and her radio talk show on education called "Phyllis Schlafly Live" is heard weekly on 40 stations. Cole has appeared on the United Radio Network NewsMaker, USA Radio Network.
Television: Cole has been a guest on Fox News The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity and Colmes , Beyond the News, CNN Talk Back Live, ABC's Politically Incorrect , and MSNBC.
Affiliate Groups: Eagle Forum Education and Legal Defense Fund, the Eagle Forum's foundation. The Eagle Forum Collegians, a network for conservative college students. The Eagle Forum PAC contributes to right-wing political campaigns. Schlafly co-founded the Republican National Coalition for Life in 1990.
Read the latest news on Eagle Forum on the group's Right Wing Watch index page
Eagle Forum's Principal Issues:
- The Eagle Forum has expanded from a group that spent a decade campaigning against a single issue to lobbying congress on a variety of issues, establishing leadership training seminars, and reaching out to college students to help develop future conservative leaders.
- Phyllis Schlafly is often identified as the mother of the women's conservative movement, and through EF she has been an outspoken opponent of many issues including: sex education (unless its "abstinence only"), reproductive rights, AIDS education, sexual harassment legislation, federal support for daycare and family leave, United States involvement with the United Nations, the international Chemical Weapons Treaty, affirmative action, bilingual education, multiculturalism and diversity education, gay and lesbian rights, teaching the theory of evolution in schools, environmental protection efforts, the dangers of pornography, and immigration.
- Schlafly has championed "traditional family values," such as women staying home to care for their children, and has raised 6 children in addition to writing or editing 20 books, earning a Master's in Political Science in 1945 from Harvard, and spearheading national campaigns for over thirty years. Mrs. Schlafly is also a lawyer and served as a member of the Commission on the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution, 1985-1991, appointed by President Reagan.
- Schlafly has testified before more than 50 Congressional and State Legislative committees on constitutional, national defense, and family issues.
- The Eagle Forum has organized against curricula and textbooks in public schools that violate "Christian values" and Schlafly's work is cited frequently by local schoolbook censors. EF also campaigns heavily against the National Education Association and the American Teacher's Federation, claiming that both groups intentionally obstruct the ability of children to learn so that they can make a profit.
Eagle Forum's History:
- Phyllis Schlafly established the Eagle Forum (EF) to combat the "Equal Rights Amendment" and the radical feminist agenda.
- Schlafly takes credit for defeating the Equal Rights Amendment, and her anti-feminism efforts made her a household name in the Equal Rights Amendment battle in the 1970's; She was responsible for popularizing the misconception that if the ERA was passed, separate bathrooms for the sexes would be illegal.
Phyllis Schlafly quotes:
"The teachers unions are more eager to expand job opportunities for the remedial reading bureaucracy, and for servicing the social problems caused by illiteracy, than they are in teaching the basics."— website essay, "How to Make America Better"
"Abolishing the Department of Education was one of Ronald Reagan's campaign promises when he ran for President in 1980. Fulfilling that promise is long overdue, and the time to do it is now…The goal [in public schools] is clearly to infuse (i.e., cause to penetrate) the gay/lesbian propaganda into every level of school: every grade K through 12, every academic subject, and every school and social activity. "
-The Phyllis Schlafly Report, September 1995
"Nothing about contraception should be taught in schools. There is no question that it will encourage sexual activity."— New York Times, 10/17/92
"You can't get into negotiations with the feminists because you will lose. They will slit your throat. They have no sense of fair play or compromise." –National Affairs Briefing, 8/92
[Updated September 2002]
Share this post
Phil Robertson Hypothesizes About Atheist Family Getting Raped And Killed
3/24/15 @ 12:40pm
After Beck Threatens To Cancel His Membership, NRA Launches Ethics Investigation Into Grover Norquist
3/13/15 @ 1:53pm
Rick Santorum: 'Yes We Can' Put The Bible Back In Public Schools
3/16/15 @ 11:06am
Sen. James Lankford And Rep. Randy Forbes Want To Protect 'Corporate Conscience' So Christians Are Free To Discriminate
3/18/15 @ 10:22am
Why Are GOP Hopefuls Speaking At An Event With An 'Ex-Terrorist' Who Allegedly Threw Jews Off Buildings?
3/13/15 @ 12:07pm