One of the points we made repeatedly in the posts we wrote on the Religious Right’s militant opposition to expanding hate crimes legislation to include “sexual orientation” was that the Right never once complained during the decade when “religion” and “race” received federal protections. It wasn’t until protections for sexual orientation were added that they started screaming about supposed “special rights” and claiming that the legislation amounted to an unconstitutional threat to their religious liberty that would lead to pastors being tossed into jail.
Of course, it has now been more than five months since this legislation was signed into a law and not a single pastor or religious leader has seen their religious freedom impacted in any way.
Everything the Right said about expanding hate crimes protections was false and designed to scare people into opposing it … and now groups like the Family Research Council are putting the same strategy to work in generating opposition to the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and raise money:
Do you think it’s right for liberals running the government to …
- Force a Christian bookstore to hire a man . . . who dresses in women’s clothing?
- Force your child’s religious school to hire homosexual instructors?
- Force your employer to fire or censure you for what they call “anti-gay harassment” . . . for simply keeping a Bible on your desk?
That’s the nightmare you could face if the Obama/Pelosi/Reid Congress passes the so-called Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
And that’s why it must be exposed.
You are standing in the way of the Left’s immoral vision for America. And laws like ENDA are intended for one thing-to silence your “obsolete” Christian morality and tear down all boundaries to unhealthy sexual behavior.
By sustaining your prayers and generous support of FRC, you’re not only investing in the long-term health of faith, family, and freedom in America . . .
You’re also strengthening the leading social conservative organization in Washington, D.C. Our respected team has decades of experience developing and blocking legislation, voicing the truth in and through the media, and mobilizing Americans.
Please join with other loyal FRC supporters in our campaign to expose ENDA by sending a generous, tax-deductible donation.
Of course, just as with hate crimes, the Right’s claims are totally false:
What ENDA Does
- Extends federal employment discrimination protections currently provided based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age and disability to sexual orientation and gender identity
- Prohibits public and private employers, employment agencies and labor unions from using an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity as the basis for employment decisions, such as hiring, firing, promotion or compensation
- Provides for the same procedures, and similar, but somewhat more limited, remedies as are permitted under Title VII and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Applies to Congress and the federal government, as well as employees of state and local governments
What ENDA Does Not Do
- Cover businesses with fewer than 15 employees
- Apply to religious organizations
- Apply to the uniformed members of the armed forces (the bill doesn’t affect the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy)
- Allow for quotas or preferential treatment based on sexual orientation or gender identity
- Allow a “disparate impact” claim similar to the one available under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Therefore, an employer is not required to justify a neutral practice that may have a statistically disparate impact on individuals because of their sexual orientation or gender identity
- Allow the imposition of affirmative action for a violation of ENDA
- Allow the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to collect statistics on sexual orientation or gender identity or compel employers to collect such statistics.
- Apply retroactively
ENDA does not “force” anyone to hire or fire anyone, it simply extends anti-discrimination protections in the workplace to cover sexual orientation and gender identity.
Just as with hate crimes, anti-discrimination protections for things like religion have existed for decades and the Religious Right never once complained about the fact that Christians were receiving “special rights” … but now that there are efforts to ensure that sexual orientation receives similar protections, it is proof that liberals are out to silence Christians.