It is that time of the year again when Religious Right groups launch their annual War on Christmas:
Today Liberty Counsel is launching its eighth annual “Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign,” pledging to be a “Friend” to those who recognize Christmas and a “Foe” to those who censor it.
Over the past few years, we successfully put the “grinches” on the run, including nativity scenes which were banned from public property, senior living centers banning elderly residents from singing Christmas carols, school officials who censored religious words from Christmas carols, and companies which renamed Christmas trees to “holiday trees.” In all of these situations, Liberty Counsel successfully educated those involved and reversed these anti-Christmas sentiments.
If a government entity censors Christmas in violation of the Constitution, then we will first seek to educate but, if necessary, we will litigate. If retailers choose to profit from Christmas while pretending it does not exist, then we will patronize their competitors. We publish a “Naughty and Nice” list to catalog retailers who either censor or recognize Christmas.
Of course, Liberty Counsel is also using this as an opportunity to encourage activists to order the “Christmas Action Pack” for a mere $15.00 which includes:
• “I Love CHRISTmas”® button (2-1/4 inch)
• “I Love CHRISTmas”® window cling (3×5 inches, oval)
• “I Love CHRISTmas”® bumper sticker (12 inch)
• Full-Page Christmas Ad to print in your local newspaper
• “The Memo that Saved Christmas” – 2 legal memoranda about Christmas in public and the workplace. These memos have resolved countless Christmas skirmishes over the year
Which give me to link to this post for a few years back showing Religious Right groups launch this effort every year mainly because it has become very profitable.