Right Wing Leftovers – 12/6/12
- Sen. Jim DeMint is resigning from the Senate to become the next president of the Heritage Foundation and FRC’s Tony Perkins is thrilled: “We are proud to partner with Heritage on numerous projects, including our annual Values Voter Summit and our recently completed national bus tour. With a good friend like Jim DeMint joining this great organization, I look forward to that partnership deepening even further.”
- Speaking of the Values Voter Summit, regular VVS speaker Stephen Baldwin has been charged with tax evasion.
- We’ll see how the Religious Right feels about Sheldon Adelson spending hundreds of millions of dollars on elections when they learn that he considers himself to be “basically a social liberal.”
- The Barna Groups analyzes the role of faith in the 2012 election and finds that “Notional Christians — the large segment of voters who consider themselves to be Christian but are not born again — voted decisively in favor of Mr. Obama.” Of course, this will not stop the Religious Right from insisting that all Christians share their views and must vote Republican.
- Rick Green is not happy with Bob Costas’ commentary on gun violence, telling him to “study up on this issue, learn the facts, and apply some common sense.” If only he’d give the same advice to David Barton.
- Finally, FRC prays that the Supreme Court will protect “traditional marriage”: “God, our nation is flooded with sin and debauchery. Move upon our Supreme Court to uphold the Constitution, the laws of Congress, the will of the people, and ‘the laws of nature and of nature’s God.’ Cause us to return to you. Send revival to your Church and awakening to our nation and a turning of the cultural tide, including our laws, politics and policy. Make us, yet, a City on a Hill and a light for You to the nations. Help us fervently to pray until our courts preserve natural, historic, biblical marriage just as You intended it!”