As the House of Representatives debated articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump yesterday, one Republican congressman went as far as to compare Trump to Jesus.
Rep. Barry Loudermilk of Georgia said that Trump was being treated worse than Jesus and compared Democrats to Pontius Pilate, the Roman governor who ordered Jesus’ crucifixion. The Washington Post reported:
“Before you take this historic vote today, one week before Christmas, I want you to keep this in mind: When Jesus was falsely accused of treason, Pontius Pilate gave Jesus the opportunity to face his accusers,” Loudermilk said during brief remarks on the House floor. “During that sham trial, Pontius Pilate afforded more rights to Jesus than the Democrats have afforded this president in this process.”
Apparently proud of his speech, Loudermilk shared it on Twitter.
“…When Jesus was falsely accused of Treason, Pontius Pilate gave Jesus the opportunity to face his accusers. During that sham trial, Pontius Pilate afforded more rights to Jesus, than Democrats have afforded this president in this process.” #ShamImpeachment pic.twitter.com/n8FZRe64eo
— Barry Loudermilk (@RepLoudermilk) December 18, 2019
The shock on Twitter was audible. The speech even prompted a Politifact fact check that unsurprisingly determined the comparison to be false. Beyond the Jesus comparison, it’s worth noting that Democrats had repeatedly invited Trump to testify.
But here at Right Wing Watch, we have grown quite accustomed to the Trump-Jesus comparison, the “Trump is like Jesus’ disciples” claim, or any variation thereof. Here’s a taste of our previous reporting:
- Wayne Allyn Root: Like Jesus Christ, The ‘Forces Of Evil’ Are Trying To Crucify Trump
- ‘Have You Ever Seen A President So Crucified?’: Jim Bakker Says Attacks On Trump Are A Sign Of The Apocalypse
- Right Wing Bonus Tracks: What Trump and Jesus Have in Common
- Mueller Madness: How Trump Is Like the Crucified Jesus, and Other Right-Wing Reactions to Russia Report
- Tom Horn: Trump Is a Victim of the Same ‘Dark Occultism’ That Attacked Jesus
- Eric Walker: Trump ‘Is a Modern-Day Prophet’ Taking on the Pharisees, Just Like Jesus
- Rick Joyner: ‘If You Look At The Disciples That Jesus Chose, They Were All Donald Trump’