Once again, with the Right’s bogus “War on Christmas” rhetoric in full swing, members of Congress have stepped up to do their part – just as they did last year – and passed a resolution in the House “Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith”:
Resolved, That the House of Representatives–
(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;
(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;
(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;
(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;
(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and
(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.
It is nice that the resolution decries the persecution of Christians here in the US, even if such persecution exists only in the minds of right-wing activists.