Ted Cruz is hoping to boost his efforts to win the caucus in Nevada, the fourth state to vote in the GOP presidential race, by adding Assemblywoman Michele Fiore to his Nevada Leadership Team.
Fiore’s record is so extreme and at points positively bizarre that she seems to be a perfect fit for Team Cruz.
For example, she has:
- Described cancer as “a fungus ” that one could cure by “flushing” it out with salt water and baking soda.
- Said people should “stop using the race card” since racism is no longer an issue in America, mentioning that she has great respect for her “colored” colleague.
- Served as a prominent supporter of Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher who worked with militia groups to incite a standoff with law enforcement officers who were trying to enforce a court order over grazing fees that Bundy refused to recognize. “Don’t come here with guns and expect the American people not to fire back,” she said.
- Defended the Confederate flag following the Charleston church shooting as “OUR HISTORY!” and installed “a horn on her truck that plays the same tune as the General Lee from ‘Dukes of Hazzard.’”
- Said that the remedy to sexual assault on college campuses is to make sure that “these young, hot little girls on campus have a firearm.”
- Faced accusations from the Republican speaker of the state assembly that she used “slanderous allegations” to explain her tax troubles while leading the committee on taxation.
Fiore, of course, is just the latest in the parade of radical figures lining up behind Cruz.