The Liberty Counsel is “totally APPALLED that certain conservative leaders are backing down in their defense of marriage while making major concessions to the views of the pro-homosexual community.”
Obviously, “certain conservative leaders” means “Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, and others who waffle to take a strong public stand for the protection of marriage,” which is why LC has started a petition demanding that conservatives:
1. Express support for a Federal Marriage Amendment that defines marriage as being “a union between one man and one woman.”
2. Demand that conservative party chairmen – and other conservative congressional, gubernatorial, and party leaders – make the protection of marriage a key part of their policy positions.
LC’s goal is to get 100,000 signatures over the next 30 days “so that we can present these petitions directly to nationally recognized leaders, especially those who are caving in to pressure from pro-homosexual activists.”
As an American who recognizes the crucial importance of the sanctity of marriage to the welfare of any culture, I am appalled by conservative leaders who are waffling in support of the definition of marriage as being “a union between one man and one woman.” I am also outraged by President Obama’s outspoken intent to repeal the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), and by activist judges disregarding the clearly expressed will of the majority of the people by striking down states’ pro-marriage initiatives. I am deeply concerned that pro-homosexual activism is undermining the very foundations of our culture.
I believe that events in California, Massachusetts, and other states have signaled the beginning of an avalanche of judicial challenges against marriage in our country, and I am therefore asking you to actively protect the sanctity of marriage by:
1. Making the protection of marriage a key issue in your party’s policy statements and official platform.
2. Publicly supporting a Federal Marriage Amendment stating that “marriage is a union between one man and one woman.”
3. Working to preserve the federal Defense of Marriage Act.
Marriage is vital to the social well-being of any nation. I urge you to use your influence to make the defense of marriage a bedrock issue in your party’s platform and campaigns. My position on the definition of marriage being “between one man and one woman” is completely non-negotiable!