Trent Franks Goes Akin: His History of Anti-Choice Extremism
At a hearing today on his bill to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy without exception, Rep. Trent Franks of Arizona said he opposed adding a rape exception to the bill in part because “the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low.”
Franks added, nonsensically, “But when you make that exception, there’s usually a requirement to report the rape within 48 hours. And in this case that’s impossible because this is in the sixth month of gestation. And that’s what completely negates and vitiates the purpose of such an amendment.”
Franks’ misinformed, Todd Akin-like comments on the mechanics of pregnancy are just the latest in a long line of extreme anti-choice positions.
- Franks was the main sponsor of last year’s “Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act,” a bill to ban abortions based on the gender or race of the fetus – a law that would have been basically impossible to enforce, and instead was meant to intimidate medical professionals and women of color seeking abortions. Franks has argued that African Americans were better off under slavery than with legal abortion and that a “racist abortion policy” is committing genocide against African Americans.
- Franks claimed earlier this month that failure to pass his 20-week abortion bill would “send America over the brink” and that Roe v. Wade will fall like the Soviet Union.
- He also recently compared the anti-choice movement to the abolition of slavery and the liberation of concentration camps.
- Franks called President Obama an “enemy of humanity,” later trying to explain that he meant to call Obama an “enemy of unborn humanity.”
- He refused to let Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia’s nonvoting representative in Congress, speak at a hearing on his bill to ban abortions in D.C. after 20 weeks.
Share this post
Bobby Jindal's Prayer Rally Materials Blame Gays & Legal Abortion For Hurricane Katrina
12/11/14 @ 12:27pm
Texas Pastor: 'Dirty Faggots' Want To Snatch And Rape Your Kids
12/10/14 @ 1:36pm
Bill Donohue: Non-Religious People Need Therapy Since They Die Prematurely And Are Disproportionately Insane
12/5/14 @ 12:15pm
Overheard At Anti-Obama Rally: 'Hang Him! We've Got Rope'
12/11/14 @ 1:30pm
Stan Solomon On Michael Brown: 'I'm Glad He's Dead. He Deserves To Be Dead'
12/5/14 @ 3:10pm