Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
85 Devonshire Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02109
Established: 1988 by Lovett C. Peters
Founding Chairman: Lovett C. Peters
Chairman: Colby Hewitt, Jr.
President/Executive Director: Stephen Adams
Finances: $2.5 million budget (2000)
Affiliated with: Massachusetts Charter School Resource Center, Pioneer Institute, Inc.
Publications: Books, policy papers, "Pioneering Spirit" magazine, newsletters, and op-eds.
Pioneer Institute's Principal Issues:
- PI "seeks to change the intellectual climate in Massachusetts" by challenging the progressive bias of the state.
- PI describes itself as "Massachusetts's leading think tank." PI has three "centers"—the Charter School Resource Center, the Shamie Center for Restructuring Government and the Center for Urban Entrepreneurship.
- PI's issues are broken down into its "E4 strategy— educational excellence, effective public management, economic opportunity, and emerging issues."
- PI is a proponent of school vouchers and deregulation of workman's compensation insurance. PI opposes bilingual education.
- PI's approach to education reform is defined by its support of school vouchers and charter schools.
- PI's founding chairman, Lovett C. Peters, is also a trustee for the Foundation for Economic Education and for Hillsdale College
- PI's work has been acknowledged by other right wing groups. Peters was awarded the "Roe Award" from the State Policy Network. Both Peters and his wife Ruth Stott Peters received the "Champions of Freedom Award" from the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
- PI is a member of the State Policy Network, "the professional service organization for America's state-based, free market think tank movement."
[Updated September 2002]
Organizations:Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Chuck Norris Gets Behind The Chemtrails Conspiracy Theory
4/25/16 @ 12:05pm
Louie Gohmert: 'The Hippies And The Troublemakers' Are Taking Over
4/20/16 @ 10:39am
Pat Boone: God Will Punish Saturday Night Live For 'Taking Satan's Side'
4/20/16 @ 11:00am
Utah GOPer Says Access To Pornography Violates His 'Right To Not View It'
4/21/16 @ 3:05pm
Pat Boone: The Government Should Outlaw Blasphemy And Punish Saturday Night Live If It Blasphemes Again
4/22/16 @ 2:05pm