Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
85 Devonshire Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02109
Established: 1988 by Lovett C. Peters
Founding Chairman: Lovett C. Peters
Chairman: Colby Hewitt, Jr.
President/Executive Director: Stephen Adams
Finances: $2.5 million budget (2000)
Affiliated with: Massachusetts Charter School Resource Center, Pioneer Institute, Inc.
Publications: Books, policy papers, "Pioneering Spirit" magazine, newsletters, and op-eds.
Pioneer Institute's Principal Issues:
- PI "seeks to change the intellectual climate in Massachusetts" by challenging the progressive bias of the state.
- PI describes itself as "Massachusetts's leading think tank." PI has three "centers"—the Charter School Resource Center, the Shamie Center for Restructuring Government and the Center for Urban Entrepreneurship.
- PI's issues are broken down into its "E4 strategy— educational excellence, effective public management, economic opportunity, and emerging issues."
- PI is a proponent of school vouchers and deregulation of workman's compensation insurance. PI opposes bilingual education.
- PI's approach to education reform is defined by its support of school vouchers and charter schools.
- PI's founding chairman, Lovett C. Peters, is also a trustee for the Foundation for Economic Education and for Hillsdale College
- PI's work has been acknowledged by other right wing groups. Peters was awarded the "Roe Award" from the State Policy Network. Both Peters and his wife Ruth Stott Peters received the "Champions of Freedom Award" from the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
- PI is a member of the State Policy Network, "the professional service organization for America's state-based, free market think tank movement."
[Updated September 2002]
Organizations:Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Far-Right: Flee America Before God Destroys Us For Gay Marriage!
6/26/15 @ 2:15pm
'Satan Dancing With Delight': The Religious Right Reacts To The Legalization Of Gay Marriage
6/26/15 @ 11:36am
Rick Wiles Renounces His American Citizenship In Response To Marriage Equality Ruling
7/1/15 @ 4:05pm
Glenn Beck Warns That His Radio Program Could Be Shut Down Because Of Gay Marriage Ruling
6/26/15 @ 4:07pm
Conservatives React To Gay Marriage Ruling: End Times! God's Wrath! Civil War!
6/26/15 @ 1:30pm