Landmark Legal Foundation
The Landmark Legal Foundation specializes in battling opponents of school vouchers, unions, and environmental regulations in the name of opposing "big government." Landmark's president, Mark Levin, is a high-profile right-wing media figure who hosts his own radio program, contributes to the National Review, and is the author of Men in Black: How the Supreme Court Is Destroying America.
Landmark Legal Foundation
19415 Deerfield Avenue Suite 312
Leesburg, VA 20176
President: Mark R. Levin
Advisory Council Member: Becky Norton Dunlop
Board of Directors: Roy Innis (Congress of Racial Equality), Walter Williams (CATO Institute, Heritage Foundation), Edwin Meese III, (Former Attorney General), WM. Bradford Reynolds (Federalist Society), Steve A. Matthews, Gary L. McDowell, Lawrence F. Davenport, John Richardson, Rush Limbaugh
Former President: Jerald Hill
Finances: $1,794,247 (2005 revenue)
Media: The Mark Levin Show, aired on the radio weekly on WABC AM station.
Publications: Men in Black: How the Supreme Court is Destroying America, a book by President Mark Levin
Read the latest news on the Landmark Legal Foundation on the group's Right Wing Watch index page
Landmark Legal Foundation (LFF) is a legal advocacy group that litigates based on the principles of individual liberty, free enterprise, and limited government. Among others, LLF has targeted the National Education Association, the Democratic National Committee, the AFL-CIO, Emily's List, the Environmental Protection Agency, the Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Forest Service.
- In February 2007, LLF nominated right-wing talk show host Rush Limbaugh for the Nobel Peace Prize, calling him the "foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in the world today." Limbaugh serves as an unpaid member of Landmark's Board of Advisors.
- Landmark Legal Foundation (LLF) initiates litigation against major non-profit, governmental, and social institutions.
- LLF focuses primarily on education and environmental litigation, in an attempt to dismantle institutions that preserve universal public schooling and that promote and fight for a clean environment. It assists state legislators in their pursuit to enact educational reforms such as providing school vouchers, private management of public schools, and other voucher initiatives.
- Mark Levin is a contributing editor of National Review, as well as a frequent contributor to the Washington Times and Human Events.
- Works for welfare reform.
- Played a role in supporting Paula Jones during the Clinton sexual scandal by receiving funds from the Scaife Foundation and finding lawyers for Jones. Salon, "Newsreal: The men who kept Paula Jones lawsuit going"
Judicial Nominees Activity
- Landmark Legal Foundation is a member of Kay Daly's Coalition for a Fair Judiciary, along with Free Congress Foundation, American Conservative Union, Family Research Council, Concerned Women for America, and the Christian Coalition. Source
- Landmark Legal adamantly opposed the Senate Democrats' use of the filibuster against judicial nominees. In an op-ed in January of 2005, Levin explained that, "Whatever the politics of ending the Senate's judicial filibusters, and one can only speculate, defending the Constitution is paramount…By denying the president numerous key appointments to vacancies on the federal bench, the judiciary grows increasingly activist due to the remaining numerous Clinton appointees." Landmark Legal Foundation op-ed
- According to MediaTransparency, Landmark received $8,935,200 between 1986 and 2003 in a total of 118 grants.
- Landmark has received $20,000 from ExxonMobil Foundation since 1998
- According to its 990 report, Landmark Legal Foundation received $1,567,258 in gifts, grants, and contributions in 2002.
- Other funders include the Allegheny Foundation, Lynde and Harry Bradley, Foundation, Inc., Carthage Foundation, Castle Rock Foundation, JM Foundation, Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, Philip M. McKenna Foundation, Inc., John M. Olin Foundation, Inc., Sarah Scaife Foundation, and the Scaife Family Foundation.
Landmark Legal Foundation, one of the earlier conservative legal organizations, was founded in 1976, and initially called the Great Plains Legal Foundation. It was created to address the special interest groups and unions "dedicated to tearing down [individual liberty, free enterprise, and limited government] and advancing Big Government."
About President Mark R. Levin
Mark Levin is a former employee of the Reagan Administration, and represented former Reagan Attorney General Edwin Meese during the Iran-Contra investigation. He was a leading advocate of the impeachment of Bill Clinton, and Rush Limbaugh named him head of his (Limbaugh's) "legal division." In 2001 Levin received the Ronald Reagan Award from the American Conservative Union. Finally, Levin strongly disapproves of the United Nations, which he claims is anti-Semitic and disorganized (see quote below).
From LLF's nomination of right-wing talk show host Rush Limbaugh for the Nobel Peace Prize: "Rush Limbaugh is a nationally syndicated radio talk show host in the United States and one of the most popular broadcasters in the world. His daily radio show is heard on more than 600 radio stations in the United States and around the world. For 18 years he has used his show to become the foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in the world today. Everyday he gives voice to the values of democratic governance, individual opportunity and the just, equal application of the rule of law — and it is fitting the Nobel Committee recognize the power of these ideals to build a truly peaceful world for future generations."
"How can [John Kerry] support an organization that anti-Semitic? I would like to know how the U.N., given the make-up of the august body, is any different than the KKK or all the rest of it. They've got people in that U.N. that are torturers, mass-murderers, anti-Semites, anti-Americans, anti-freedom, and we're supposed to keep conferring our decisions to them. Why?"—Mark R. Levin audio
"Landmark Legal Foundation is presently engaged in a two front battle— the most ambitious and arguably the most important we've ever faced. It is quite literally a battle for America's future.
"We're confronting the nation's chief obstacle to substantive education reform - the NEA - not only at the national level, but in the states where the union spends millions in tax exempt funds on unreported and hence illegal political activities. In the coming months we will launch the first wave of complaints against key NEA state affiliates. In addition, the Foundation will undertake a major outreach initiative to regional, national and specialty media and key opinion leaders to garner attention and caste the spectrum of public debate where it belongs— on the actions of a union that has no respect for the law. Landmark's complaints and public outreach efforts will bring to the state unions the same unremitting and unwelcome scrutiny from governmental agencies and the media that has resulted in a full IRS field audit and Labor Department investigation of the national union.
"We are also challenging what may be the most insidious legacy of modern liberalism— judicial activism and the radical judges who use it to advance an extremist social agenda. America's courts have become the final bulwark for the advocates of big government who have been defeated time after time at the ballot box at the local, state and federal level. Through an aggressive and multifaceted public education campaign, Landmark's Judicial Reform Initiative is helping to reshape the public debate and crystallize public sentiment about the mission of America's courts and the proper limits on their authority. With the Roberts Nomination to the Supreme Court currently before the Senate— as well as the ongoing controversy about filibusters in the Senate over nominees to federal district and appeals courts, this has become one of Landmark's highest priorities." Source
Updated: September 2007
Organizations:Landmark Legal Foundation
Arizona Tea Party Group Defends SB 1062: 'The First Amendment Protects Only The Practice Of The Christian Faith'
2/26/14 @ 12:55pm
Bachmann: American Jews 'Sold Out Israel' To Help Obama; Bible Predicts US Will Turn Against Israel In End Times
3/4/14 @ 3:40pm
Tea Party Nation: Brewer's Veto Imposed 'Slavery,' Mandatory Penis Cakes For 'Homosexual Weddings'
2/27/14 @ 10:15am
5 Tea Party Myths Debunked As Movement Marks 5 Years Of Dysfunction
2/27/14 @ 2:00pm
Derbyshire: 'Future Of The Conservative Movement Is As A Home For White Ethnocentrism'
2/28/14 @ 3:16pm