Center for the Study of Popular Culture
President/Founder: David Horowitz
Established in: 1988 by David Horowitz and Peter Collier
Finances: $2.9 million (2002 budget)
Employees: 5 (listed on website)
Membership: claims 40,000 supporters
Publications: Front Page Magazine
Affiliated with: Front Page Magazine, Individual Rights Foundation
- CSPC serves as the home for founder David Horowitz's various anti-Left, anti-Democrat Party enterprises, such as the controversial FrontPage Magazine and the legal group the Individual Rights Foundation.
- CSPC sells and distributes pamphlets and information on fighting the Left.
- CSPC also sells right-wing books and heavily promotes David Horowitz's own books. Horowitz titles include: Hating Whitey and Other Progressive Causes, The Hate America Left and The Politics of Bad Faith: The Radical Assault on America's Future.
- CSPC also hosts the "Wednesday Morning Club" which is a forum for right-wingers in the entertainment industry. Guest speakers for the club include: Governor George W. Bush (1999), then Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney, Newt Gingrich, Robert Bork, Representatives Tom DeLay and Henry Hyde, Senators Trent Lott, Bill Frist and Joseph Lieberman, editor of the Weekly Standard Fred Barnes, columnist George Will, and many other pundits and politicians.
- After controversial right-wing columnist Ann Coulter got fired from National Review Online for the radical, anti-Muslim comments she made after the September 11th attacks, David Horowitz's FrontPage Magazine picked up her regular column.
Right Wing Donors:
- CSPC gets regular, generous grants from top right-wing foundations.
- CSPC has received nearly $5 million dollars from the Bradley Foundation alone since 1989.
- CSPC has received donations from all of Richard Scaife's foundations, the Olin Foundation, and the Carthage Foundation.
Quotes from CSPC publications:
"Paradoxically, at the same time, the destructive Left sees in American democracy and the Constitution that created it, a powerful weapon it can use to destroy the system. Consequently — and again somewhat paradoxically — the anti-American Left has directed a significant part of its political energy towards attacks on the American court system and on the Constitution itself." — David Horowitz, "Out of Many, One" November 24, 2003
"Everybody knows — but no one wants to say — that the Democratic Party has become the party of special interest bigots and racial dividers. It runs the one-party state that controls public services in every major inner city, including the corrupt and failing school systems in which half the students — mainly African American and Hispanic — are denied a shot at the American dream. It is the party of race preferences which separate American citizens on the basis of skin color providing privileges to a handful of ethnic and racial groups in a nation of nearly a thousand. The Democratic Party has shown that it will go to the wall to preserve the racist laws which enforce these preferences, and to defend the racist school systems that destroy the lives of millions of children every year." –David Horowtiz, "Challenging the Racist Democrats in California," August 5, 2003
"Most of the groups that adamantly oppose the USA PATRIOT Act are oriented toward worrying more about terrorists' civil liberties than their murderous intentions: The ACLU, People for the American Way, Human Rights Watch."— from "Anti-Patriot Feminists," Chris Weinkopf, Front Page Magazine, July 10, 2003
Updated July 2004
Organizations:Center for the Study of Popular Culture
Anti-Gay Pundit: Homosexuality 'A Factor' In Amtrak Crash
5/14/15 @ 12:35pm
Flashback: Duggars Call LGBT People A Threat To Child Safety; Duggar Resigns From FRC
5/21/15 @ 6:20pm
Anti-Gay Missouri GOP House Speaker Caught Sexting With Intern
5/13/15 @ 4:00pm
Chuck Norris: 'Obama Has Literally Helped Build The Environment For The Apocalypse'
5/18/15 @ 11:05am
Poll: One-Third Of Republicans Think Obama Wants To Invade Texas
5/13/15 @ 12:35pm